- Location Pendleton, Anderson County
2725 Old Greenville Highway, about three miles east of Pendleton
- Origin of name In the Algonquian Indian language, Ashtabula means "river of many fish" (6).
- Other names Gibbes, Broyles, Latta, Pelzer Place
- Current status Owned by Pendleton Historic Foundation and operated as a house museum
- 1790 Earliest known date of existence (2)
The Gassaway family owned the property (2).
- 1825 Lewis Ladson and Maria Henrietta Drayton Gibbes acquired the property from the Gassaway family (2).
- 1828 House built by Lewis Ladson Gibbes of Charleston
- 1837 Plantation bought by Dr. Oze R. Broyles (2)
- 1851 Plantation bought by James T. Latta of York (2)
- 1861 Plantation bought by Mr. Robert Adger, owner of the Sword Gate House in Charleston (2)
- 1865 Adger's daughter Clarissa and her husband O. A. Bowen lived in the house with their son Allen until this year.
- 1865 Adger's daughter Sallie and her husband William D. Warren became owners of the plantation (2).
- 1880 Ashtabula was next owned by Francis J. Pelzer (owner of Pelzer Mills and founder of the Town of Pelzer) (2).
- 1889 John Linley became Ashtabula's owner (2).
- 1920 Roger Inglesby became owner (2).
- 1940 Frederick W. Symmes became the last resident owner of Ashtabula (2).
- 1957 Symmes died and Ashtabula was purchased by Mead Corporation for a tree farm (2).
- 1961 Mead Corporation gave the house and 10 acres to the Pendleton Historic Foundation (2).
- Number of acres 10 acres in 1961
- Primary crop Timber for paper 1957-1961
- Chronological list Gassaway (1790-1825); Lewis Ladson and Maria Henrietta Drayton Gibbes (1825-1837); Dr. Oze R. and Sarah Broyles (1837-1851); James T. and Angela Lot Latta (1851-1861); Robert and Jane Eliza Fleming Adger (1861-1865); William D. and Sallie Warren (1865-1880); Francis J. Pelzer (1880-1889); John Linley (1889-1920); Roger Inglesby (1920-1940); Frederick W. Symmes (1940-1957); Mead Corporation (1957-1961); Pendleton Historic Foundation (1961-present)
- Number of slaves ?
- The house is a two-story clapboard plantation house. There is also two-story brick building built prior to 1790 that was used as a traveler's tavern. This brick structure was later connected to the main house by a breezeway and used as a kitchen (2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1971
Photographs, architectural overview
- Pendleton Historic Foundation |
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Jane Ockershausen, The South Carolina One-Day Trip Book (McLean, VA: EPM Publications, 1998)
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Information contributed by Mary Ann Masek
- Pendleton Historic Foundation
PO Box 444
Pendleton, SC 29670
Website: Click here