— Woodburn Plantation © Bill Fitzpatrick, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Pendleton, Anderson County
Located on History Lane, off Hwy 76/28 across from Tri-County Technical College
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Frank Place
- Current status Owned by Pendleton Historic Foundation and operated as a house museum.
- 1800 Earliest known date of existence
- 1832 House built by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
- 1852 House enlarged by Reverend Dr. John B. Adger
- 1882 Jane Edna Harris Hunter was born on Woodburn Farm; she later founded the Phyllis Wheatley Association.
- 1966 Deeded to the Foundation for Historic Restoration of the Pendleton Area
- Number of acres 600
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Reverend Dr. John B. Adger (1852); Joseph Ellison Adger (1859); Bailey; Bennett; Elliott; John Franks; Hunter; McCord; Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (1830); Augustine T. Smythe (1882); David Taylor (1848)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1970
Photographs, architectural overview
- Pendleton Historic Foundation - see information on Woodburn on left
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- Jane Ockershausen, The South Carolina One-Day Trip Book (McLean, VA: EPM Publications, 1998)
- Carolina W. Todd and Sidney Wait, South Carolina: A Day at a Time (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 2008)
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Slave Dwelling Project Visits Woodburn House Pendleton SC - Joseph McGill, a program officer for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, documents his overnight stay in a slave cabin at Woodburn Plantation in May 2013
- Pendleton Historic Foundation
PO Box 444
Pendleton, SC 29670
Website: Click here