— Banksia Hall Plantation © Melissa Roberts, 2011 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Barnwell, Barnwell County
Located at 2108 Reynolds Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Back Pen, Old Manville House, The Pond
- Current status ?
- 1780 Earliest known date of existence
- 1780-1800 House built
- ? The house was occupied for five days by Union forces during the Civil War (1, p. 3).
- 1865-1867 Banksia Hall served as the Federal headquarters for the area during the Reconstruction Period (1, p. 3).
The drawing room served as the office. Those who had supported the South in the war were given pardons if they took an oath swearing allegiance to the union and obedience to the laws of the United States. The original oath document still hangs in the house (1, p. 3).
- 1866 The kitchen was reconstructed.
- 1867 Banksia Hall served as army headquarters for the western lowcountry when the Reconstruction Acts of 1867 were issued establishing military control of the state (1, p. 3).
- 1868 South Carolina's Constitutional Convention was held and established the new government structure for the state. Only at this point did the military vacate Banksia Hall (1, p. 3).
- 1869 The house was once again used as a residence when it was purchased in April.
- Prior to 1900 The columns were added.
- 1974 Dan Manville Hartley was owner (1, p. 1)
- Alphabetical list Dan Manville Hartley (1974); Waight
- Number of slaves ?
- House's exterior is clapboard and in the Georgian design (1, p. 2)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1974
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society