Fairmount Plantation Blackville Barnwell County
- Location Blackville, Barnwell County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Kilkenny, Old Reynolds Place
- Current status Has been subdivided
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1801 House built (rear of 1801 picture)
Cornelius Tobin built the house and called it Fairmount (Home of Cornelius Tobin).
- 1832 Tobin passed away and Rev. Darling Peeples purchased Fairmount Plantation (Home of Cornelius Tobin).
- 1850 Rev. Peeples died. His daughter, Julia Peeples Reynolds, made the plantation her home (rear of 1801 picture).
- 1858 Julia passed away, leaving the plantation to her husband, Dr. William Sims Reynolds (rear of 1801 picture).
The name of the plantation was changed to Old Reynolds Place Plantation (Peeples and Stroman Family Book, p. 1)
- 1888 Dr. Reynolds died, leaving his property to his three daughters.
- 1926 Reynolds descendants still owned the property when the house was destroyed (Home of Cornelius Tobin).
- 2006 The plantation remained in the Reynolds family until 2006, when it was subdivided. There were a total of three tracts. Of these, two full tracts and a third of the other were sold to a corporation. Some family members did retain ownership of their shares (approximately 60-75 acres), but the majority of the land was sold.
- Number of acres Around 350 acres in 2006 before it was subdivided
- Primary crop ?
- There was a large, ornate garden. Click here and scroll down to see a picture of the garden.
- Chronological list Cornelius Tobin (?-1824), Rev. Darling Peeples (1824-1850), Julia Peeples Reynolds (1850-1858), Dr. William Sims Reynolds (1858-1888), Reynolds descendants (1888-2006)
- Number of slaves ?
- The house was demolished in 1926.
- Peeples and Stroman Family Book - PDF
- Home of Cornelius Tobin near Blackville, South Carolina - Blackville Area Historical Society