Brewton Plantation Yemassee Beaufort County
— Brewton Plantation's Avenue of Oaks © Gazie Nagle, 2011 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Combahee River watershed, Yemassee, Prince William Parish, ACE Basin, Beaufort County
Follow US 17 South to Old Sheldon Church Road then turn right onto Brewton Plantation Road
- Origin of name Named after Miles Brewton
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1732 Earliest known date of existence
- Late 1700s Daniel Blake owned the plantation. He died in 1780 (Linder, p. 96).
- 1797 Pierce Butler owned Brewton as late as 1797. Many records were destroyed in the Civil War, exact dates of his ownership are unclear (Linder, p. 97).
- Early 1800s Isaac McPherson owned the plantation sometime before his death in 1803. His son, James Elliott McPherson then became owner and made Brewton his home until his death in 1834. He also owned Vernesover Plantation and Pleasant Hill Plantation
(Linder, p. 97)
- Number of acres 2,000
- Primary crop Rice
- John R. Todd added the avenue of live oaks in 1932
- Alphabetical list Bellinger, Daniel Blake (?-1780), Brewton, Bull, Pierce Butler (1797), Frazier, Gregorie, Izard, Isaac McPherson (?-1803), James Elliott McPherson (1803-1834), Skirving, Terni, Todd
- Number of slaves ?
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860