- Location Jarvis Creek (part of the Calibogue Sound), Hilton Head Island, St Helena Parish, Beaufort County
Original plantation lands were located off US 278 in the vicinity of Honey Horn Plantation Road.
- Origin of name Legend says Honey Horn got its name from the slaves mispronouncing the Hanahan name.
- Other names Hanahan, William J. Graham House
- Current status House and portion of the land are now the Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn.
- 1805 Earliest known date of existence
- 1859 Construction of the main house began by William J. Graham but was abandoned due to the Civil War.
- 1931 The plantation was turned into a hunting preserve by New York investment executives, Langdon K. Thorne and Alfred L. Loomis.
- 1951 The plantation was purchased by Honey Horn Plantation, a joint venture of Fred C. Hack, C.C. Stebbins, and O.T. McIntosh. It became the residence of the Hack family.
- Late 1990s The Town of Hilton Head purchased 68 acres which included the house, cottage, and several other structures. The town has a long-term lease agreement with the Coastal Discovery Museum.
- Number of acres 13,000 (1918); 11,000 (1951); 68 (2009)
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list W.P. Clyde (?-1918), Freeman Dodd, William J. Graham, Hanahan, Honey Horn Plantation (1951-late 1990s), Alfred L. Loomis and Langdon K. Thorne (1931-1951), Roy A. Rainey (1918-1931), John and James Stony (1805), Storm, Town of Hilton Head (late 1990s-present)
- Number of slaves ?
- House Cottage type house with the original structure built by William J. Graham and added onto several times by the different owners. It was one of the few house Union soldiers did not burn during their occupation of Hilton Head Island.
- A caretaker cottage is also located near the main house.
- Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn
100 William Hilton Parkway
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29925
Website: Click here
More about Beaufort County
- Learn more about historic Beaufort County, including the lovely town of Hilton Head as well as Beaufort SC. We have helpful guides to Hilton Head history and Hilton Head libraries and museums - plus Hilton Head restaurants, Hilton Head bed & breakfasts, Hilton Head hotels, and Hilton Head real estate.