- Location West shore of the Broad River, Beaufort County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1741 Earliest known date of existence
Founded by Colonel Daniel Heyward (2, p. 178)
- ? House built
- 1777 Heyward died (2, p. 178)
- ? James Bolan owned the plantation. He gave Old House Plantation to his daughter when she married Mr. Heyward (3).
- Alphabetical list James Bolan; Gilbert; Colonel Daniel Heyward (1741-1777)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- News & Courier Newspaper (predecessor to the Charleston Post & Courier) February 26, 1933 issue reprint of Free South April 4, 1863 listing of St. Helena Island plantation sales prior to the Civil War
- Lawrence S. Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr. The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1996)
Order The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861
- Information contributed by Iralyn Snyder.
More about Beaufort County
- Learn more about historic Beaufort County, including the lovely town of Beaufort SC as well as Hilton Head. We have helpful guides to Beaufort SC history and Beaufort SC libraries and museums – plus Beaufort SC restaurants, Beaufort SC bed & breakfasts, Beaufort SC hotels, and Beaufort SC real estate.