Orange Grove Plantation St Helena Island Beaufort County
- Location Wallace Creek (a branch of the Beaufort River), St. Helena Island, St. Helena Parish, Beaufort County
Located off SC 113
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1753 Earliest known date of existence when Peter Perry purchased 473 acres. (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- 1800 House built
- 1845 Thomas Fuller Sr. sold 350 acres of Orange Grove to Edgar Fripp of neighboring Seaside Plantation (3, p. 424).
- 1928 Orange Grove was purchased by Henry L. Bowles. He tore down the original house and a new house was built in its place.
- Number of acres 473 in 1753; 5.7 in 2005
- Primary crop Indigo, cattle, sheep, hogs (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- Alphabetical list Henry L. Bowles (1928); Fripp; Thomas Fuller Sr. (1845); Harwood; Peter Perry (1753-?)
- Number of slaves 46 under the ownership of Peter Perry (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- "A tabby hearth remains from a kitchen outbuilding (c. 1800) at Orange Grove Plantation. It is set very near the plantation cemetery, which is enclosed by a tabby wall" (2).
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1989
Photographs, architectural overview
- Elswick, Dan: Tabby in South Carolina: A Versatile Building Material - PDF - large file, see page 31
- Richard Porcher and Sarah Fick, The Story of Sea Island Cotton (Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith, 2005)
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- News & Courier Newspaper (predecessor to the Charleston Post & Courier) February 26, 1933 issue reprint of Free South April 4, 1863 listing of St. Helena Island plantation sales prior to the Civil War
- N. Jane Iseley and William P. Baldwin, Lowcountry Plantations Today (Greensboro, NC: Legacy Publications 2001)
- Lawrence S. Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr. The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1996)
Order The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861