Spring Island Plantation Spring Island Beaufort County
— Tabby Ruins at Spring Island Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Spring Island, Colleton River, Beaufort County
The ruins of the tabby house can be found at the end of Old House Road.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Cochran's Island
- Current status The island is a private housing community that has retained the name of Spring Island.
- 1706 Earliest known date of existence (1)
John Cochran was deeded Spring Island by Lord Colleton. Cochran was a well-known Indian trader and established a trading post on the high bluffs of Spring Island (1).
- ? Upon John Cocharn's death, Spring Island was inherited by John's nephew James Cochran (3, p. 118).
- ? House built
James Chochran built a house on Spring Island (3, p. 118).
- 1740 James Cochran died (3, p. 118).
Spring Island remained in the Cochran family for three generations (1).
- ? George Barksdale became owner after his marriage to John Chochran's granddaughter Mary Ash (1).
- 1801 George Edwards became Spring Island's next owner after he married Elizabeth Barksdale. Edwards culitated the island's fields and grew Sea Island cotton (1).
- 1864 The Edwards house was burned by Union troops (3, p. 117-118).
- ? After Edwards' death, Spring Island was sold at public auction to Mrs. Inwood. Mrs. Inwood was George Edwards' disinherited daughter. Legend says the two became estranged when the daughter married a British naval officer (3, p. 117).
- ? Trenhold Inwood inherited the plantation upon his mother's death (3, p. 117).
- Circa 1900 Colonel Thomas Martin purchased the island from Inwood and established the Spring Island Hunting Club (3, p. 114, 117).
- 1912 Colonel William Copp purchased Spring Island at a public auction. He began planting crops on a large scale with laborers. Copp had about 35 nearly-identical cabins built as housing for the laborers (3, p. 114) (5).
- 1927 Copp built a home he called Bonny Shore (3, p. 115).
- 1940 Col. Copp died (3, p. 118).
- ? Bertha E. Lucas owned the island (3, p. 118).
- 1964 Lucile and Elisha Walker, Jr. purchaed Spring Island for $401,500 from Bertha E. Lucas and developed it into a premier quail hunting plantation (1 and 3, p. 118).
- 1972 Sometime after Walker's death in this year, the plantation was held by the Walker Trust (1).
- 1990 Jim and Betsy Chaffin, Jim and Dianne Light and Peter and Beryl LaMotte purchased the property from the Walker Trust and set-up the Spring Island Trust to develop the island while protecting its natural environment (1).
— Cabin at Spring Island Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2016 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Number of acres The island consists of 6,500 acres (3, p. 115).
- Primary crop Sea Island cotton historically and vegitables and livestock by Col. Copp
- Chronological list John Cochran (1706-?); James Cocharan (?-1740); George Barksdale (?); George Edwards (1801-?); Mrs. Inwood (?); Trenhold Inwood (?); Colonel Thomas Martin (Circa 1900-?); Colonel William Copp (1912-1940); Bertha E. Lucas (?-1964); Lucile and Elisha Walker, Jr. (1964-1972); Walker Trust (?-1990); Jim and Betsy Chaffin, Jim and Dianne Light and Peter and Beryl LaMotte (1990-?)
- Number of slaves 253 in 1850 (4, p. 373)
We are actively seeking information on the slaves who lived and worked at this plantation. If you find a resource that might help, please fill out this form. Thank you.
- The Edwards house and out-buildings were built using tabby. Tabby is a mixture of shell, lime, and water and was a popular construction material during the eighteenth and early nineteenth century in the South Carolina lowcountry. Ruins of the structures are still standing.
References & Resources
- History of Spring Island: Click here
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- Robert B. Cuthbert and Stephen G. Hoffius, editors, Northern Money, Southern Land: The Lowcountry Plantation Sketches of Chlotilde R. Martin (Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press, 2009)
- Lawrence S. Rowland, Alexander Moore, and George C. Rogers, Jr. The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1996)
Order The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina: Volume 1, 1514-1861
- Information contributed by Gazie Nagle from the Beaufort County Historical Site Surveys.
- Spring Island
42 Mobley Oaks Lane
Spring Island, SC 29909
- Telephone: 843-987-2200
Website: Click here