— Tommy John Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
Note: The current house was originally built 1827-1828 at Dean Hall Plantation. It was dismantled and rebuilt at Tommy John Plantation.
- Location Huspah Creek, Gardens Corner, Prince William Parish, Beaufort County
Located south of Gardens Corner off US 21 on Dean Hall Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Dean Hall
- Current status Privately owned
— Rear of Tommy John Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1971 The William Augustus Carson house built 1827-1828 at Dean Hall Plantation in Berkeley County was dismantled and moved to Tommy John. Commander Charles Baggs started to rebuild the house in 1973 but due to lack of funds, was not able to complete the job.
- 1982 John and Mary Nash purchased the plantation and completed the restoration.
- Number of acres 90 in 2004
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Colonel Charles Baggs, Fowler, John and Mary Nash
- Number of slaves ?
- In 1971, the William Augustus Carson house built at Dean Hall Plantation in Berkeley County was dismantled and moved to Tommy John. Restoration began in 1973 but was left uncompleted due to Colonel Charles Baggs' lack of funds. John and Mary Nash purchased the plantation in 1982 and completed the project.
- Several outbuildings have been constructed in the original 19th century style to give the plantation a historic feel. Including slave quarters that are used as guest houses, carriage shed used as a garage, a glass house greenhouse, and two pigeonniers.
More about Beaufort County
- Learn more about historic Beaufort County, including the lovely town of Beaufort SC as well as Hilton Head. We have helpful guides to Beaufort SC history and Beaufort SC libraries and museums – plus Beaufort SC restaurants, Beaufort SC bed & breakfasts, Beaufort SC hotels, and Beaufort SC real estate.