Brick House Plantation Cordesville Berkeley County
- Location Western branch of the Cooper River, Cordesville, Berkeley County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Burnt House, Goatfield, Retreat, Turnbull Place
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
House built by Gabriel and Esther Marion (5).
- ? Gabriel Marion was owner of the plantation, called Goatfield at this time (1, pp. 40-41).
- Circa 1737 The Marions left Goatfield, moving to a plantation near Georgetown so the children could attend an English school (5).
- ? The plantation was folded into Lewisfield Plantation (1, pp. 40-41).
- Alphabetical list Cordes, Gabriel, Grant, Graves, Hart, Leigh, Gabriel Marion, Prioleau, Smith, Turnbull
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842)
(Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)
- Virginia Christian Beach, Medway (Charleston, SC: Wyrick and Company, 1998)
- Records held by the Berkeley County Historical Society
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Mark Woodard, Francis Marion, Swamp Fox