— Cedar Hill Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location French Quarter Creek (a branch of the Cooper River), Huger, St Thomas and St Denis Parish, Berkeley County
Located off SC 41 on Cainhoy Road
- Origin of name Named for the trees that grew on the property
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1682 Earliest known date of existence
Jonah Lynch received a grant of land. He called his property Blessing after the ship that brought him to the new colonies (2, p. 135).
- ? The Blessing was divided up into three plantations: Blessing, Cherry Hill, and Cedar Hill.
- ? Henry Laurens purchased the Blessing and then proceeded to purchase Cherry Hill and Cedar Hill (2, p. 136).
While in the possession of the Laurens family the plantations were once again divided.
- 1845 Cedar Hill was in the possession of James Poyas.
The Poyas family, on several occasions, entertained William Tecumseh Sherman while he was stationed at Fort Moultrie (2, p. 137).
- 1860 By this time all three plantations were owned by William James Ball.
- 1865 The three plantations were once again sold separately.
- 1927 The Wellington Corporation purchased all three plantations (2, p. 136).
- 1928 The Wellington Corporation sold the three plantations to T. Ferdinand Wilcox, Esq. and Edward Roesler, Esq. (2, p. 136).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice
- Chronological list Jonah Lynch (1682-?); Henry Laurens; James Poyas (1845); William James Ball (1860); Wellington Corporation (1927-1928); T. Ferdinand Wilcox and Edward Roesler (1928-?)
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 2002
Photographs, architectural overview
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842)
(Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)