Cherry Hill Plantation Huger Berkeley County
- Location French Quarter Creek (a branch of the Cooper River), Huger, St Thomas and St Denis Parish, Berkeley County
Located off SC 41 on Cainhoy Road
- Origin of name Named for the cherry trees that grew on the property
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1682 Earliest known date of existence
Jonah Lynch received a grant of land. He called his property Blessing after the ship that brought him to the new colonies (Irving, p. 135).
- ? The Blessing was divided up into three plantations: Blessing, Cedar Hill, and Cherry Hill.
- ? Henry Laurens purchased the Blessing and then proceeded to purchase Cherry Hill and Cedar Hill (Irving, p. 136).
While in the possession of the Laurens family the plantations were once again divided. A 1838 Title Abstract traces division and the ownership of Cherry Hill through several of Henry Laurens' children.
- 1843 Commodore Duncan Nathaniel Ingraham married Harriet Horry Laurens, a granddaughter of Henry Laurens. It is believed that Commodore Ingraham inherited Cherry Hill through his wife (Irving, p. 137).
- 1860 By this time all three plantations were owned by William James Ball.
- 1865 The three plantations were once again sold separately.
- 1927 The Wellington Corporation purchased all three plantations. A year later they sold them to T. Ferdinand Wilcox, Esq. and Edward Roesler, Esq. (Irving, p. 136).
- Number of acres 90 in 2002
- Cherry Hill Rice Fields
- Cherry Hill Rice Mill Chimney
- Cherry Hill Steam Engine
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list William James Ball; Commodore Duncan Nathaniel Ingraham; Henry Laurens; Jonah Lynch; T. Ferdinand Wilcox and Edward Roesler; Wellington Corporation
- Number of slaves ?
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination Form - submitted in 2002 - requires Adobe Reader
Photographs, architectural overview
- 1838 Title Abstract