- Location Western branch of the Cooper River, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County
- Origin of name Named after Captain Coming, who settled the land, as well as the T-shape made by the Cooper River's east and west branches coming together
- Other names Coming Tee, Coming T, Coming's T
- Current status The house stands inside the 10,700-acre Bonneau Tract that the state of South Carolina and The Conservation Fund acquired from MeadWestvaco in 2004. The SC Department of Natural Resources does have the property open for public use. Access is available to the Comingtee ruins and nearby rice mill on days without hunts. The gates on the roads leading to these sites will be closed on hunt days.
- 1669 Earliest known date of existence (9)
John Coming gained land grants along the Cooper River, which brought him to South Carolina. He was mate of the pioneer ship Carolina, and later captain of the Blessing. He was married to a passenger on the Carolina, Affra Harleston.
- 1695 John Coming died leaving his entire estate to his widow (9).
- 1698 Affra died childless and willed her estate to her nephew John Harleston and to her husband's half-nephew, Elias Ball (9).
- 1701 Elias Ball was a planter and lived at Comingtee. He married a sister of John Harleston (9).
- 1738 Wooden house built by Elias Ball (9).
- Exact date unknown Parish silver discovered after being hidden in 1865 by Grover Sullivan. The colonial sacramental plate of Strawberry Chapel was placed in Keating Ball's possession when Sherman was marching through the area.
- 1893 The house was damaged by a storm and sold to Alwyn Ball, Jr. who began extensive work on the house (9).
- 1918 The Ball family formed the Comingtee Corporation (9).
- 1927 Senator Joseph S. Frelingheysen purchased Comingtee from the Comingtee Corporation for use as a hunting retreat. Frelingheysen also owned Fish Pond Plantation and Rice Hope Plantation (9).
- 1949 West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company (which through mergers would later become part of MeadWestvaco) purchased the property to harvest the lumber (9).
- 2004 The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources acquired the 10,700-acre tract from MeadWestvaco (12).
- Number of acres Part of 10,700-acre Bonneau Ferry Wildlife Management Area (2004)
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Alwyn Ball, Jr. (1893-1918), Elias Ball (1698-?), Keating Elias Ball, Affra Harleston Coming (1695-1698), John Coming (1669-1695), Comingtee Corporation (1918-?), Fincke, Senator Joseph S. Frelingheysen (1927-?), John Harleston (1698-?), Laurens, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (2004-present), West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company/MeadWestvaco (1949-2004), Willis
- Number of slaves ?
- Elias Ball constructed a house made of wood in 1738, later adding a brick addition. Over the years, the wooden portion has been destroyed, but a portion of the brick structure remains (9).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places - Cooper River Historic District
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 2002
Photographs, architectural overview
- Comingtree Plantation: Coming and Ball Families: Click here
- Kimberly Christine Norton and Abbid Hussein Kahn, Comingtee and Stoke Plantations: Historic Structures Report
- Bonneau Ferry Wildlife Management Area
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842) (Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)
- Samuel Gaillard Stoney, Plantations of the Carolina Low Country (Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 1990)
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Sankofa's Plantation Data Collection
- Maxwell Clayton Orvin, Historic Berkeley County, South Carolina: 1671-1900 (Self published, 1973)
Order Historic Berkeley County, South Carolina: 1671-1900
- Information contributed by Barry Gooch
- Bonneau Ferry Wildlife Management Area
South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
305 Black Oak Road
Bonneau, SC 29431
Website: Click here