Foxbank Plantation Moncks Corner Berkeley County
- Location Moncks Corner, St John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County
Located off US 52 on Cypress Gardens Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Fox Bank
- Current status The plantation is being developed into a planned housing community (2005).
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- ? A deed for a bordering tract of land notes Fox Bank had been "granted to the late Keating Simmons deceased on 4 Sept 1786" (4).
- 1819 Samuel Lynes purchased from William McElmoyle, "All that plantation or tract of land called Fox Bank containing 430 acres" (4).
- ? George (Samuel's son) and Elizabeth Whitfield Lynes became owners of the plantation. George was an overseer for several plantations in Berkeley County and Beaufort County: Exeter Plantation, Pineland Plantation, Fife Plantation, Swamp Place Plantation, and Comingtee Plantation.
The Lynes had a large family, however, several of their children did not survive into adulthood. One of their sons, George Lynes, Jr., was also employed on rice plantations: Fish Pond Plantation, Comingtee Plantation, and Pineland Plantation, Fife Plantation.
- 1881 George Lynes died on April 23, 1870. His wife, Elizabeth Whitfield, died on March 26, 1880. This plat was made in February 1881 to divide the property into sections for their heirs.
- Number of acres 430 in 1819
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Robert Haynes; George and Elizabeth Whitfield Lynes (?-1880); Samuel Lynes (1819-?); William McElmoyle (?-1819); Keating Simmons (?-1786); Simms
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Lynes Family History
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Information contributed by Jack Lynes from the Register of Mesne Conveyance, Charleston County, S.C. BK. B-9 pg. 335-336