Halidon Hill Plantation - Huger Berkeley County South Carolina SC

Halidon Hill Plantation – Huger – Berkeley County



Quinby Plantation - Berkeley County, South Carolina
Quinby Plantation house after moved to Halidon Hill Plantation © Brandon Coffey

Basic Information

  • Location – Eastern branch of the Cooper River, Huger, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County

    Located off SC 41 on Cainhoy Road

  • Origin of name – William J. Ball changed the name to Halidon Hill in 1843

  • Other names – Simonsville, Horts

  • Current status – Privately owned

Quinby Plantation Rear of House - Berkeley County, South Carolina
— Rear of Quinby Plantation house after moved to Halidon Hill © Brandon Coffey

Timeline

  • 1787 – Earliest known date of existence

    Benjamin Simons III died and his Middleburg Plantation was divided among his three daughters. Catherine Simons [Hort] inherited 768 acres which became known as Simonsville and Horts. (Cross).

  • 1792 – House built

  • ? – John Bryan owned the plantation (Cross).

    Bryan also owned nearby Camp Vere Plantation whose lands also had once been part of Middleburg Plantation.

  • 1843 – The plantation was conveyed to William J. Ball (Cross).

  • ? – John Coming Ball acquired Halidon Hill.

  • 1872 – Ball foreclosed on a loan that Simons descendants had taken out using Middleburg Plantation as collateral. Ball had previously acquired Halidon Hill and Smoky Hill and merged all three back into one at this time. He called this merged property Middleburg Plantation (Cross).

  • It appears sometime during ownership by the Ball family, the property of Middleburg Plantation was once again divided and Halidon Hill became a separate holding.

  • 1954 – The Quinby house was moved four miles through the woods and down a narrow highway to its present site at Halidon Hall. It was renovated by Mr. and Mrs. Huguenin.

  • ? – Richard and Verren Coen acquired Halidon Hill.

Land

  • Number of acres – 768 acres in 1787; 1,960 in 1985

  • Primary crop – Rice

Owners

  • Chronological list – William and Catherine Simons Hort (1787-?); John Bryan; William J. Ball (1843-?); John Coming Ball (1872); Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Huguenin (1954-?); Richard and Verren Coen (2002)

Slaves

  • Number of slaves – ?

Buildings

  • The Quinby Plantation house was moved four miles through the woods and down a narrow highway to its present site at Halidon Hall in 1954. The house was renovated by Mr. and Mrs. Huguenin.

Web Resources

Print Resources





SC Plantation Inns
SC Plantation Tours
SC Plantation Pictures
SC Plantations by Place
SC Plantation Weddings



Abbeville County
Aiken County
Allendale County
Anderson County

Bamberg County
Barnwell County
Beaufort County
Berkeley County

Calhoun County
Charleston County
Cherokee County
Chester County
Chesterfield County
Clarendon County
Colleton County

Darlington County
Dillon County
Dorchester County

Edgefield County

Fairfield County
Florence County

Georgetown County
Greenville County
Greenwood County

Hampton County
Horry County

Jasper County

Kershaw County

Lancaster County
Laurens County
Lee County
Lexington County

Marion County
Marlboro County
McCormick County

Newberry County

Oconee County
Orangeburg County

Pickens County

Richland County

Saluda County
Spartanburg County
Sumter County

Union County

Williamsburg County

York County


Flower photographs by Virginia Saunders, Columbia, SC. Please click flower for more info.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Are you able to contribute plantation
information or pictures?
Please click here.


SouthCarolinaPlantations.com
is maintained as a public service by

South Carolina

Home Edit Info Contact

HomeAdd InfoSearchContact