Note: The house at Hanover was also called the St. Julien-Ravenel House. It was moved to Pickens County to protect it from flooding by Santee Cooper.
- Location Submerged under Lake Moultrie, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County
- Origin of name It is thought that the house was named for the House of Hanover which had come to the British throne about that time.
- Other names St. Julien-Ravenel House
- Current status In 1939, work began on the Santee Cooper Hydroelectric and Navigation Project. This project displaced many families and communities, and many historic homes were lost as the area was flooded.
The house was dismantled and relocated to Clemson University in the 1940s.
- 1688 Earliest known date of existence
Paul de St. Julien's grandfather was granted three 1,000-acre land grants from the Lord Proprietors (National Register).
- 1714-1716 House built
Paul de St. Julien built his home on one of the three tracts that had belonged to his grandfather (National Register).
- 1940s House relocated to Clemson University due to area being flooded as part of the Santee Cooper Hydroelectric and Navigation Project (National Register).
- Number of acres 1,000 in 1714 (National Register)
- Primary crop Santee long cotton (hybrid between Upland cotton and Sea Island cotton)
- Alphabetical list Daniel Couturiere, Henry Ravenel, St. Julien
- Number of slaves ?
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1970
Photographs, architectural overview
- The Hanover House: Click here
- Initial references: See #1, 2, 4, 19
- South Carolina Botanical Garden
102 Garden Trail
Clemson, SC 29634
Website: Click here