Hyde Park Plantation Huger Berkeley County
— Hyde Park Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Huger Creek, eastern branch of the Cooper River, Huger, Berkeley County
Located off SC 402 on a private road
- Origin of name named after Hyde Park in London (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
— Side of Hyde Park Plantation House © Brandon Coffey —
- 1740 John Coming Ball acquired 600 acres (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- 1743 Main house was finished but burned sometime near the time of the American Revolution (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- John Colleton acquired the land.
- 1799 House built by John Ball, Sr. who also owned nearby Kensington Plantation. None of the Ball family wanted to live at Hyde Park full-time so it became a gathering spot for women to socialize and a hunting lodge for men.
— Hyde Park Plantation Cemetery © Brandon Coffey —
- Number of acres 600 in 1740
- Two cemeteries are also found at Hyde Park, the Ball family cemetery and a slave cemetery both dating back to the 1700s.
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Dominick Arthur (1707), Elias Ball, John Coming Ball (1740), John Colleton, Peter Colleton, John Gough (1707), Michael Mahon (1707)
- Number of slaves ?
- 1743 Original house was a two story wooden house with a long covered porch and pitched roof. This house burned sometime near the American Revolution. (Contributed by Jillian Olson)
- 1798 John Ball built a one and one-half story frame house with a gabled roof. A porch ran the length of the house.
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 2002
Photograph of house
Photograph of rice fields
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842) (Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)
- Sankofa's Plantation Data Collection
- Edward Ball, Slaves in the Family
(New York, NY: Ballantine Books, 1998)