Longwood Plantation Huger Berkeley County
- Location Eastern branch of the Cooper River, Huger, St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish, Berkeley County
Located off SC 41 at 553 Longwood Lane
- Origin of name Originally called Pompion Hill Plantation for the round hill located on the property. It is believed Alfred Huger changed the plantation's name to Longwood when he purchased it in 1823 (2).
- Other names Pompion Hill (2)
- Current status Operates as wedding and special event venue and polo estate February 2015, unable to confirm this is still the current status
- ? Originally settled by Benjamin Simons (1, p. 7).
- ? House built
- 1600s Pierre de St. Julien de Malacare, his wife, and children settled here, fleeing religious persecution as French Huguenots (2).
- October 24, 1687 Charlotte de St. Julien married Rene Ravenel de la Houte Massois, son of Daniel Ravenel at the plantation (2).
- ? The Hassell family owned the plantation (1, p. 7).
- 1750 Samuel Thomas, rector of St. Thomas Parish acquired the property (1, p. 7).
- Circa 1780 Captain Thomas Shubrick became owner (1, p. 7).
- ? Gabriel Manigualt was the property's next owner (1, p. 7).
- ? Nathaniel Heyward acquired the property (1, p. 7).
- 1823 Alfred Huger purchased the property and changed the name to Longwood Plantation from Pompion Hill (2).
- Circa 1957 Henry L. Johnson purchased the plantation. Johnson and his wife Anna moved in one-year later, after the house had been renovated (3).
- 1963 The house at Longwood was lost to a fire that was started by a faulty furnace (3).
- 1964 The Johnsons moved back to Longwood after having another house constructed (3).
- 1977 Henry L. Johnson died leaving the plantation to his heirs Richard L. Johnson, Marion L. Johnson, Frampton Johnson, and Louise Johnson (3).
- Number of acres 300-plus acres in 2006 (2)
236 acres are under Lowcounty Open Land Trust
- Primary crop Rice (1, p. 7).
- Alphabetical list William Barnett; DuPre; John Hasell; Thomas Hasell; Nathaniel Heyward; Alfred Huger; Henry L. Johnson (Circa 1957-1977); Richard L. Johnson, Marion L. Johnson, Frampton Johnson, and Louise Johnson (1977-?); Robert H. Lockwood, III; Peter (Pierre) St Julien de Malacare; Gabriel Manigualt; Captain Thomas Shubrick (Circa 1780-?); Benjamin Simons; Samuel Thomas (1750-?)
- Number of slaves ?
- The original house was lost to fire in 1963. The house that was built back on Longwood in 1964 is still standing (2013) (3).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 2002
Supplemental nomination form - PDF
Photographs, architectural overview
- Brief History of Longwood Plantation: - source no longer available
- Information contributed by Nina Johnson.