Moss Grove Plantation Cross Berkeley County
— Moss Grove Plantation © Brandon Coffey, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Cross, Berkeley County
Located on Ranger Drive at Country Pond Lane, most of the plantation's former acreage lies submerged under Lake Moultrie.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- 1678 Earliest known date of existence (1, p. 33)
Sir Peter Colleton received a land grant of 12,000 acres. The property became known as the Fairlawn Barony (1, p. 31).
- 1844 John Cross bought a total of 500 acres from the Austin, Winningham, McCants families. He later purchased additional property from the Livingston and Droze families (1, p. 298).
- 1880 House built
Adam Cross, John's son, built a two-story clapboard house. There had been a pole house on the property thought to have been built prior to the American Revolution (1, p. 81 and 299).
- 1886 House was damaged by the Great Earthquake of 1886 (1, p. 299).
- Moss Grove remained in the Cross family for seven generations (1, p. 299).
- 1985 Mrs. Ethel Cross Langley owned Moss Grove (1, p. 299).
- Number of acres 500 in 1844 (1, p. 298)
- Primary crop Cotton
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Records held by the Berkeley County Historical Society
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History