Mulberry Plantation - Moncks Corner Berkeley County South Carolina SC

Mulberry Plantation – Moncks Corner – Berkeley County

Mulberry Plantation - Berkeley County, South Carolina
— Mulberry Plantation © Brandon Coffey

Basic Information

  • Location – Western branch of the Cooper River, Moncks Corner, St. John's Berkeley Parish, Berkeley County

    Located off Old Highway 52 on North Mulberry Road

  • Origin of name – Was probably named for the Mulberry tree that marked the boundary of the original 12,000 acres granted to Sir Peter Colleton

  • Other names – Polly, Mulberry Castle, Salt Point, South Mulberry

  • Current status – Privately owned

Gate at Mulberry Plantation - Berkeley County, South Carolina
— Mulberry Plantation Gate © Brandon Coffey

Timeline

  • 1679 – Earliest known date of existence

    Sir Peter Colleton was granted 4,423 acres that adjoined his Fairlawn Barony

  • 1694 – Sir John Colleton inherited all of his father's (Sir Peter) property in the Carolinas.

  • 1708 – Sir John Colleton conveyed to Thomas Broughton 4,423 acres of the Fairlawn Barony (probably the same acreage that was granted to Sir Peter in 1679). Thomas Broughton named the property Mulberry.

  • 1714 – House built

    Thomas Broughton built the house in the Jacobean baroque style and called it Mulberry Castle. When Broughton died he left Mulberry Castle to his wife and his son, Nathaniel Broughton.

  • 1715 – During the Yemassee War, a number of people took refuge at Mulberry.

  • 1742 – Honorable John Colleton (son of Sir John) conveyed 211 acres of the Fairlawn Barony to Nathaniel Broughton.

Garden at Mulberry Plantation - Berkeley County, South Carolina
— Mulberry Plantation Garden © Brandon Coffey

Land

  • Number of acres – 4,423 in 1708; 4,634 in 1742

  • Primary crop – Rice

  • The grounds around the house were landscaped for Mr. and Mrs. Chapman by Loutrel W. Briggs.

Owners

  • Alphabetical list – Frances Atkins, Barker, Fannie Brawley (1980), Nathaniel Broughton, Thomas Broughton (1708), Clarence E. Chapman, Chestnut, Childs, Sir John Colleton (1694), Sir Peter Colleton (1679), Dallett, Daniel, Milliken, Walker

Slaves

  • Number of slaves – ?

Avenue of Oaks at Mulberry Plantation - Berkeley County, South Carolina
— Mulberry Plantation Avenue of Oaks © Brandon Coffey

Buildings

  • 1714 plantation house (restored after 1915 for Clarence E. Chapman)

Web Resources

Print Resources





SC Plantation Inns
SC Plantation Tours
SC Plantation Pictures
SC Plantations by Place
SC Plantation Weddings



Abbeville County
Aiken County
Allendale County
Anderson County

Bamberg County
Barnwell County
Beaufort County
Berkeley County

Calhoun County
Charleston County
Cherokee County
Chester County
Chesterfield County
Clarendon County
Colleton County

Darlington County
Dillon County
Dorchester County

Edgefield County

Fairfield County
Florence County

Georgetown County
Greenville County
Greenwood County

Hampton County
Horry County

Jasper County

Kershaw County

Lancaster County
Laurens County
Lee County
Lexington County

Marion County
Marlboro County
McCormick County

Newberry County

Oconee County
Orangeburg County

Pickens County

Richland County

Saluda County
Spartanburg County
Sumter County

Union County

Williamsburg County

York County


Flower photographs by Virginia Saunders, Columbia, SC. Please click flower for more info.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Are you able to contribute plantation
information or pictures?
Please click here.


SouthCarolinaPlantations.com
is maintained as a public service by

South Carolina

Home Edit Info Contact

HomeAdd InfoSearchContact