— Richmond Plantation (Rear) © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Eastern branch of the Cooper River, Cordesville, Berkeley County
Located off SC 402 approximately 5 miles south of Cordesville
35 miles from Charleston
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Ellis, Girl Scout Camp, The Girl Scout Plantation
- Current status Owned by the Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina
Update: Due to financial woes, the Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina put the property up for sale at $7 million. (Read a full story Because of Lack of Funding, Girl Scouts Losing Part of their Past, published January 2011.)
— Gate at Richmond Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- ? Earliest known date of existence - Dr. Martine owned a tract of land that included Richmond Plantation and Farmfield Plantation.
- 1769 Colonel John Harleston purchased Richmond and Farmfield from Dr. Martine. Harleston made Richmond his home.
- 1793 The property was divided after John Harleston death with Richmond becoming in posession of Harleston's daughter Jane who married Edward Rutledge. (South Carolina Historical Magazine)
- ? Richmond then passed to Harleston's granddaughter Sarah Harleston and her husband Dr. Benjamin Huger (National Register, p. 3).
- 1900 J. St. Clair White purchased a total of 4,500 acres which included Richmond along with Bossis, Farmfield, and the Villa plantations (Cooper River Historic District National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet).
- Sometime around the turn of the century, the house burned (National Register, p. 3).
- Late 1920s George A. Ellis, Jr. purchased the property to develop into a hunting retreat and built the house that stands today. At this point, the combined plantations were called simply Richmond Plantation.
- 1956 After the death of Mrs. Ellis, the property was sold to West Virginia Paper and Pulp Company, now MeadWestvaco Corporation (National Register, p. 7).
- 1963 The Girl Scouts of Carolina Lowcountry, now Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina, purchased 153 acres including the acreage where the Richmond Plantation house stands. The plantation is used as a camp (National Register, p. 7).
- 2011 Due to financial woes, the Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina put the property up for sale.
— Richmond Plantation (Front) © Brandon Coffey —
- Number of acres 4500 acres in 1900; 153 acres today
- Primary crop Rice
- The Harleston-Rutledge cemetery remains on the property and contains the grave of John Harleston (National Register, p. 6).
- Chronological list Dr. Martine (?-1769), Colonel John Harleston (1769-1793), Jane Harleston and Edward Rutledge (1793-?), Sarah Harleston and Dr. Benjamin Huger (?), J. St. Clair White (1900-late 1920s), Mr. and Mrs. George A. Ellis, Jr. (late 1920s-1956), MeadWestvaco Corporation (1956-1963), Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina (1963-present)
- Number of slaves ?
— Cemetery at Richmond Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- ? House built - There was a house at Richmond Plantation that Colonel John Harleston and family lived in. A 1803 paintings of the house depicts a large two and a half story frame building on a brick foundation with two chimneys (National Register, p. 3).
- Circa 1927 House built - Present day house was built by George A. Ellis, Jr. It is a one and one-half story brick building in the Shavian Manorial Style (Cooper River Historic District National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet).
- Other buildings While in the ownership of Dr. Benjamin and Jane Huger, stables, slave houses, and a barn, all painted white, were also on the property.
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1980
Photographs, architectural overview
- Cooper River Historic District National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
- South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. XIII January 1912
- Richmond Plantation pictures - The Post and Courier 2010
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842)
(Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Sankofa's Plantation Data Collection
- Girl Scouts of Eastern South Carolina
7257 Cross County Road
North Charleston, SC 29418
Website: Click here