— Gate at Yeamans Hall Plantation © Gazie Nagle, 2013 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Location Goose Creek (a branch of the Cooper River), Hanahan, St. James Goose Creek Parish, Berkeley County
900 Yeamans Hall Road
- Origin of name Named for early owner
- Other names Old Goose Creek, Westockan
- Current status Private golf course
- 1674 Earliest known date of existence when Lady Margaret Yeamans, widow of Sir John Yeamans, received a 1,070 acre grant from the Lords Proprietors (5, p. 160).
- 1674 House built and was called Old Goose Creek
- 1677 James Moore became owner. He was married to Margaret Berringer, Lady Yeamans daughter by a previous husband (5, p. 160).
- 1694 Thomas Smith became owner of the plantation. Smith increased the size of Yeamans Hall to 1,869 acres (5, p. 160).
- 1695 New brick house built by Landgrave Thomas Smith II
- 1738 Henry Smith, Thomas Smith's oldest son, inherited the plantation upon his father's death (5, p. 161).
- 1780 Henry Smith passed away leaving Yeamans Hall to his son Thomas Smith (5, p. 161).
- ? Thomas Smith willed the plantation to his son George Henry Smith (5, p. 162).
- ? Yeamans Hall remained in the Smith family passing from George Henry Smith next to Thomas Henry Smith (5, p. 162).
- ? Yeamans Hall was purchased by Charleston Consortium, which was headed by R. Goodwyn Rhett.
- 1915 Architects were hired to build a golf course on the plantation as the owners of Yeamans Hall wanted to turn it into a winter resort development (1, p. 1).
- February 1926 The golf course, Yeamans Hall Club, opened (1, p. 1).
- 1920s Another golf course and several buildings, including a club house and private cottages, were constructed by the Yeamans Hall Company (1, p. 1 and 3, p. 108).
- Number of acres 1,070 in 1674; 1,869 circa 1700: 1,371 in 1908; 900 in 1996 (1, p. 1 and 5, p. 160, 162)
- Primary crop Rice
- Chronological list Lady Margaret Yeamans (1674-1677); James Moore (1677-?); Landgrave Thomas Smith II (1694-1738); Henry Smith (1738-1780); Thomas Smith (1780-?); George Henry Smith (?); Thomas Henry Smith (?); Charleston Consortium (?); Yeamans Hall Company
- Number of slaves 20 under Thomas Smith circa 1780 (5, p. 160)
References & Resources
- Yeamans Hall Club - Something Unique: PDF
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- John Beaufain Irving, A Day on Cooper River (1842) (Whitefish, MT: Kessinger Publishing, LLC, 2010)
- J. Russell Cross, Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley (Columbia, SC: R.L. Bryan Company, 1985)
Order Historic Ramblin's through Berkeley
- Michael J. Heitzler, Goose Creek: A Definitive History - Volume One: Planters, Politicians and Patriots
(Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2005)
- Yeamans Hall Club
900 Yeamans Hall Road
Hanahan, SC 29410
Telephone: (843) 747-8855
Website: Click here