- Location North Charleston; Charleston County; St. James, Goose Creek Parish
- Other names ?
- Current status Charleston Southern University is located on part of the original plantation lands.
- 1682 Earliest known date of existence
Land granted to Ralph Izard
- ? Original house built
- 1809 House burned
- 1810 House rebuilt by Henry Izard
Damaged by the earthquake of 1886, the house was allowed to fall into decay.
- Number of acres 4,350
- Primary crop Rice
- The Izard family developed a grand garden (Trinkley and Hacker, p. 26).
- Alphabetical list Ralph Izard I (1682), Ralph Izard II (1688-1749), Henry Izard (1771-1826), Middleton
- Number of slaves ?
- A Context For the Study of Lowcountry Gardens - PDF - Michael Trinkley and Debi Hacker, 2007, for the Chicora Foundation.
- Initial references: 6, 11, 19, 20
More about Charleston
- Learn more about historic Charleston County including the port city of Charleston. We have helpful guides to Charleston history and Charleston libraries and museums – plus Charleston restaurants, Charleston bed & breakfasts, Charleston hotels, Charleston real estate, and Charleston jobs.