Fairfield Plantation McClellanville Charleston County
- Location South Santee River, McClellanville,
St. James Santee Parish, Charleston County
Located five miles north of McClellanville off South Santee Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1704 Earliest known date of existence (2, p. 725)
- 1711 John Boone passed away and left all of his property to his widow Elizabeth Patey Boone and their children (2, p. 725).
- 1732 A 700-acre plantation on the Santee River was advertised for sale by Elizabeth Patey Boone. However, no buyer was found (2, p. 725).
- 1733 Thomas Boone, son of John and Elizabeth, filed for ownership of the property on behalf of himself, his sisters Mary Corxon and Sarah Hext, and his brother-in-law George Haddrell (2, p. 725).
- 1737 Thomas Boone purchased all the shares of the 700-acre plantation from his relatives to become sole owner (2, p. 725).
- 1748 Thomas Lynch II purchased Fairfield Plantation from Thomas Boone. He likely built a house on the property soon thereafter (2, p. 725).
- ? Thomas Lynch's widow, Sabina Vanderhorst Lynch, passed the property to their only surviving son, Thomas Lynch III.
- 1758 Jacob Motte, Jr. purchased Fairfield Plantation soon after he married Rebecca Brewton (1, p. 3).
- 1784 The Motte's daughter, Elizabeth, and her husband Thomas Pinckney received ownership of Fairfield Plantation from the courts after Elizabeth's father died without leaving a will (1, p. 3) (2, p. 727).
- 1797 By this year, Thomas Pinckney, Jr. was managing Fairfield for his father, Thomas Pinckney, Sr. Thomas Pinckney, Sr. inherited Eldorado Plantation and had moved there (1, p. 3).
- 1828 Thomas Pinckney, Sr. passed away willing Fairfield Plantation to son Thomas Pinckney, Jr. (2, p. 728).
- ? During the Civil War, rifle pits were dug so that when Union steamers came up the river, they would be in range (5, p. 217).
- 1842 Thomas Pinckney, Jr. died and his will declared Fairfield was to go into trust. The plantation was to be held in trust until his nephew Thomas Pinckney turned 25, which would be in 1853 (2, p. 730).
- 1915 Thomas Pinckney died leaving Fairfield Plantation to son Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (2, p. 730).
- 1973 Francis Pinckney Williams and the heirs of M. M. Pinckney were owners of record (1, p. 1).
- 2001 Fairfield Plantation has remained in the same family for over 200 years. Direct descendant Thomas Pinckney was the plantation's owner (2, p. 730).
- Number of acres 700 in 1704; 9.98 in 1974
- Primary crop Rice
- Number of slaves ?
- January 29, 1854 Colonel Pinckney had the following slaves confirmed from the Fairfield Estate by Bishop Davis: Crysta (Mrs. Pinckney's servant), Sam, Betty, Jimmy, Toy (5, p. 437).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1974
Photographs, architectural overview
- Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River
- Alberta Morel Lachicotte, Georgetown Rice Plantations (Georgetown, SC: Georgetown County Historical Society, 1993)
Order Georgetown Rice Plantations
- George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina
- Anne Baker Leland Bridges and Roy Williams III, St. James Santee, Plantation Parish: History and Records, 1685-1925 (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1997)