Gallant Hill Plantation North Charleston Charleston County
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1781 A plat was made this year by a Joseph or John Purcell (1).
- ? Dr. John Frederick Poppenheim acquired the plantation. The Poppenheim family referred to the plantation as Wee John which was the nick-name of Dr. Poppenheim's father (2, p. 184).
- 1868 John Lewis Poppenheim purchased the 1,070 acre plantation from his father John Frederick Poppenheim and wife Aphra Ann Poppenheim. Click here to see the title (1).
- ? John Strohecker purchased Gallant Hill Plantation. It was known as Strohecker Plantation under his ownership (2, p. 184).
- Number of acres 1,070 in 1868; 4,004 under Strohecker ownership (1) (2, p. 184)
- Primary crop ?
References & Resources
- Information contributed by John Strobel.
- Michael J. Heitzler, Goose Creek: A Definitive History - Volume One: Planters, Politicians and Patriots
(Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2005)