Harrietta Plantation - McClellanville Charleston County South Carolina

Harrietta Plantation – McClellanville – Charleston County



Harrietta Plantation House 2009 - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Harrietta Plantation House © Brandon Coffey, 2009 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Basic Information

  • Location – Collins Creek, South Santee River, McClellanville, St. James Santee Parish, Charleston County

    7 Mile Road

    Five miles east of McClellanville off US 17, between Collins Creek and the South Santee River

  • Origin of name – When Harriott Pinckney Horry purchased the planation, she changed its name from Washaw to Harrietta, possibly as an adaptation of her own name or her daughter's name. (Her daughter's forename was also Harriott.)

  • Other names – Washaw (5, p. 750)

  • Current status – Privately owned

Harrietta Plantation 2009 - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Harrietta Plantation © Brandon Coffey, 2009 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Timeline

  • 1704 – Earliest known date of existence (5, p. 749)

    John Fenwick owned the property (5, p. 749).

  • 1735 – Gillson Clapp acquired a grant for 500 acres along the creek. He also purchased a neighboring 650 acres (5, p. 749).

  • 1738 – Gillson Clapp died and his will declared that his Santee River property should be divided among three of his children – Elizabeth, Mary, and Gillson, Jr. (5, p. 749).

  • Prior to 1745 – Mary Clapp became the sole owner of the property after the death of her sister and brother (5, p. 750).

  • 1749 – David Deas became owner of the plantation, knows as Washaw at this time, after he married Mary Clapp. Deas purchased neighboring property to increase the planation's size. Deas also constructed a small, two-bedroom house at the plantation (5, p. 750).

  • Circa 1770s – David Deas left the plantation to his three daughters who in turn signed over interest to each of their husbands – Alexander Inglis, Isaac Motte, and Thomas Middleton (5, p. 750).

  • 1779 – After the death of his wife, Isaac Motte signed over his third interest to brother-in-laws Alexander Inglis and Thomas Middleton (5, p. 750).

    The half portion that was owned by Thomas Middleton would become Palo Alto Hill Plantation, Wedge Plantation and Woodville Plantation. Inglis's portion would retain the Washaw name (5, p. 750).

  • 1791 – Alexander Inglis died and left Washaw to his son David Deas Inglis. Alexander's estate had many debts. This forced the plantation to be divided into five smaller tracts and sold. George Wagner bought two adjoining tracts; one was 265 acres and the other 41, for a total of 306 acres (5, p. 750).

  • 1806 – Harriott Pinckney Horry purchased the 265-acre section from George Wagner. She called the plantation Harrietta, perhaps as an adaptation of her own name or her daughter's name, and began construction on a two-story house. The house would remain unoccupied for decades. Harriott had hoped her daughter, Harriott Horry Rutledge, would live there, but the younger Harriott moved to Europe with her husband and left the gift from her mother empty (5, p. 751).

  • 1859 – The house was bought from the estate of Harriott Rutledge and finally occupied by Stephen Duval Doar.

    According to Doar's great-grandson, Alexander Lucas Lofton, "The Doars lived at the plantation until it was sold in the late twenties to Mr. Shonnard. My mother lived at the Wedge only a short walk from Harrietta, and I walked from the Wedge to Harrietta many times as a young boy. The wings on the house were there at that time, and probably were built at the time my great-grandfather purchased it or even earlier."

    The picture below was sent to us by Alexander Lucas Lofton, who estimates the shot was taken sometime between 1915 and 1923 (2, p. 299) (4) (6).

  • 1872 – David Doar inherited Harrietta from his father Stephen Duval Doar. David continued to cultivate rice on the plantation until 1903 and was one of the last great planters of the area (1, p. 3) (5, p. 751).

  • 1928 – David Doar passed away. The Doar family sold Harrietta Plantation to Horatio and Sohia Shonnard (4) (5, p. 752).

  • 1973 – Mrs. Dorette L. Fleischman was the owner of record with the plantation being comprised of approximately 400 acres (1, pp. 1, 4).

  • Late 1900s – Larry Young acquired the plantation (5, p. 752).

  • 2000 – Robert Occhifinito purchased Harrietta Plantation from Larry Young (5, p. 752).

Harrietta Plantation House early 1900s - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Harrietta Plantation House © Howard R. Jacobs, early 1900s —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Land

  • Number of acres – 1,150 in 1735; 306 in 1791; 265 in 1806; approximately 400 in 1973 (1) (5)

  • Primary crop – Rice; plus indigo, and corn in the 1700s (5, p. 750)

Harrietta Plantation Garden Gate 2016 - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Gate of Formal Garden at Harrietta Plantation © English Purcell, 2016 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Slaves

  • Number of slaves – 113 circa 1755; 93 in 1859 (5, p. 750) (6)

    In 1859, 93 slaves were sold, to five different people, as part of the estate of Harriott Rutledge. Click here for a complete listing of the slaves and who purchased each (6).


Harrietta Plantation River View 2009 - Charleston County, South Carolina
— View of River at Harrietta Plantation © Brandon Coffey, 2009 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

References & Resources

  1. National Register of Historic Places
    Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1975
    Photographs, architectural overview

  2. George C. Rogers, Jr., The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1990)
     Order The History of Georgetown County, South Carolina

  3. Catherine Campant Messner, South Carolina's Low Country: A Past Preserved (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 1988)
     Order South Carolina's Low Country: A Past Preserved

  4. Information contributed by Alexander Lucas Lofton who is the great-grandson of owner Stephen Duval Doar.

  5. Suzanne Cameron Linder and Marta Leslie Thacker, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River (Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 2001)
     Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of Georgetown County and the Santee River

  6. Sale of Harrietta Plantation and 93 Slaves, Estate of Harriott Rutledge, SC, 1859: Fold3


Harrietta Plantation Yard 2009 - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Lawn at Harrietta Plantation © Brandon Coffey, 2009 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)

Harrietta Plantation Statue at Gates - Charleston County, South Carolina
— Statue at Gates of Harrietta Plantation © Brandon Coffey, 2009 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)





SC Plantation Inns
SC Plantation Tours
SC Plantation Pictures
SC Plantations by Place
SC Plantation Weddings



Abbeville County
Aiken County
Allendale County
Anderson County

Bamberg County
Barnwell County
Beaufort County
Berkeley County

Calhoun County
Charleston County
Cherokee County
Chester County
Chesterfield County
Clarendon County
Colleton County

Darlington County
Dillon County
Dorchester County

Edgefield County

Fairfield County
Florence County

Georgetown County
Greenville County
Greenwood County

Hampton County
Horry County

Jasper County

Kershaw County

Lancaster County
Laurens County
Lee County
Lexington County

Marion County
Marlboro County
McCormick County

Newberry County

Oconee County
Orangeburg County

Pickens County

Richland County

Saluda County
Spartanburg County
Sumter County

Union County

Williamsburg County

York County


Flower photographs by Virginia Saunders, Columbia, SC. Please click flower for more info.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Are you able to contribute plantation
information or pictures?
Please click here.


SouthCarolinaPlantations.com
is maintained as a public service by

South Carolina

Home Edit Info Contact

HomeAdd InfoSearchContact