Long Point Plantation Mount Pleasant Charleston County
- Location Wando River, Mount Pleasant, Christ Church Parish, Charleston County
West of the end of Wando Park Blvd, about 1.5 miles north of the Long Point Road intersection
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Dorothy Kearns Park is on land that was once part of the plantation.
- 1719 Earliest known date of existence when the land was acquired through a Royal Land Grant by James Allen (National Register, p. 3).
- 1763 Shortly before this time, the house was built by James Allen, or by son James Allen, Jr. (National Register, p. 2).
- 1800 Samuel Venning purchased the plantation with the Venning family retaining ownership until 1899 (National Register, p. 2-3).
Samuel Venning also owned Bermuda Plantation
- 1821 Samuel died leaving Long Point to his five children (National Register, p. 3).
- 1858 Samuel's grandson, Robert Dorrill Venning, acquired sole ownership of the plantation (National Register, p. 3).
- 1859 Within a year of acquiring the plantation, Robert sold it to his sister Claudia Sanders (National Register, p. 3).
- 1899 Claudia died (National Register, p. 6).
- 1933-1943 The plantation house was torn down sometime in this ten year span (National Register, p. 2).
- Chronological list James Allen (1719-?); James Allen, Jr.; Samuel Venning (1800-1821); Venning (1821-1858); Robert Dorrill Venning (1858-1859); Claudia Venning Sanders (1859-1899); Main
- Number of slaves ?
- A 1902 survey documented a house and five smaller buildings (National Register, p. 2 ).
- The only remaining building is the smokehouse/icehouse.
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1985
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society