- Location Clarks Sound, James Island, St. Andrews Parish, Charleston County
Located off Fort Johnson Road in the Ocean View neighborhood.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1802 Winborn Lawton purchased 95¾ acres from Gracia Rivers. In the sale it states that the land he purchased was part of the dower of Mary Rivers, Gracia's wife.
- 1843 Winborn Lawton appears to have sold the plantation to James M. Lawton either at this time or earlier. James M. Lawton mortgaged the plantation through Winborn Lawton.
To read a copy of the mortgage agreement, click here.
- 1859 James M. Lawton sold the plantation to Ephriam M. Clark. Clark paid $12,000 for 368 acres.
To read a copy of the deed, click here.
- 1867 Current home built
- Number of acres 95¾ in 1802; 368 in 1859
- Primary crop Sea island cotton
- Alphabetical list Ephraim M. Clark (1859-?); Captain William and Mary Davis; James M. Lawton (1843-1859); Winborn Lawton (1802-1843); Cecil Oswald; Gracia Rivers (?-1802)
- Number of slaves ?
- In the 1930s there was a corn crib and a dairy building on the property. There was also a cotton gin house at one time.
References & Resources
More about Charleston & James Island
- Learn more about historic Charleston County including the port city of Charleston and lovely nearby James Island. We have helpful guides to Charleston history and Charleston libraries and museums – plus Charleston bed & breakfasts, Charleston hotels, and Charleston jobs. We also have guides to James Island restaurants and Charleston real estate.