Point of Pines Plantation Edisto Island Charleston County
- Location North Edisto River, Edisto Island, St. John's Colleton Parish, Charleston County
Located off SC 174 on Point of Pines Road
- Origin of name Many large pines grew on the property's furthermost point.
- Other names Mitchell Place
- Current status Privately owned
- 1674 Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1686 Spanish marauders sacked the area and destroyed the plantation.
- 1852 Legare appeared on a map of the area for Point of Pines (1, p. 2).
- 1861 Union troops took over Point of Pines Plantation. The plantation's slaves and others from the area proclaimed themselves to be free (3).
- 1985 Julian Mitchell owned the property for many years until his death in this year (1, p. 2).
- 1986 The plantation was owned by the Estate of Julian Mitchell (1, p. 1).
- Alphabetical list Bailey; John Cummins; Estate of Julian Mitchell (1986); Grimball; Legare (1852); Burnett Maybank and Marion Maybank II; Julian Mitchell (?-1985)
- Number of slaves 170 (3)
- At one time there were perhaps as many as 25 slave cabins. In the early 2000s, the plantation had three of the few remaining slave cabins on Edisto Island.
- In May 2013, the Smithsonian Institution dismantled a cabin to transport it Washington, DC where it will be displayed at the National Museum of African American History and Culture (3).
- Today, the remains of the house's foundation (made of tabby, which is a cement made of lime, sand or gravel, and crushed oyster shells) can still be seen near the river.
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1986
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Slave Cabin Set to Become Centerpiece of New Smithsonian Museum
- Robert Behre, Smithsonian to Preserve, Display Edisto Slave Cabin, (Charleston, SC: The Post & Courier, May 14, 2013)