Pointe Plantation McClellanville Charleston County
Special thanks to Bud Hill with the The Village Museum for the information on this page.
- Location Jeremy Creek, McClellanville, St. James Santee Parish, Charleston County
- Origin of name ?
- Other spellings Point
- Current status Plantation no longer exists; land has been subdivided with a portion of it now the eastern side of the Town of McClellanville
- 1705 Earliest known date of existence
John Whilden was granted 493 acres but never developed or built on the land.
- 1717 Whilden sold the land to Colonel Thomas Lynch. Lynch also owned nearby Peachtree Plantation.
- ? George Benison purchased the tract.
- ? The land was passed to George's son William Benison.
- 1771 Archibald McClellan bought the land and gave it the name Pointe Plantation.
- Mid 1850s McClellan, along with Richard Tillia Morrison II of Laurel Hill Plantation, began selling lots near the creek to planters and the village of McClellanville was born.
- Number of acres 493 in 1705
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list George Benison; William Benison; Colonel Thomas Lynch (1717-?); Archibald McClellan (1771-?); John Whilden (1705-1717)
- Number of slaves ?
Print and Archive Resources
- James Osgood McClellan (Jr), The McClellans of St. James Santee Parish, McClellanville, South Carolina, (J.O. McClellan, Jr., Publisher, 1988)