Prospect Hill Plantation Parkers Ferry Charleston County
— Prospect Hill Plantation House © Brandon Coffey —
- Location South Edisto River, Parkers Ferry, Charleston County
Located 3.5 miles south of US 17 off Parkers Ferry Road (SC Secondary Road 38)
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Barnwell House, Prospect
- Current status Privately owned
— Prospect Hill Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? Gabriel Henry Manigault owned the plantation.
- 1835 Edward Barnwell III married Margaret Manigault, daughter of Gabriel Henry and Ann Heyward Manigault. It was through this marriage that Edward Barnwell III received Prospect. He later changed the name to Prospect Hill (1, p. 3).
- 1865 The plantation house was burned by Union troops in February (1, p. 3).
- 1878 Edward Barnwell III built another house on the property (1, p. 3).
- ? Lee McLeod owned the plantation (2).
- ? Loyld Henderson acquired the plantation from Lee McLeod (2).
- 1980 Suzanne P. Merck was owner of record (1, p. 1).
- Chronological list Gabriel Henry Manigault; Edward Barnwell III (1835); Lee McLeod; Loyld Henderson; Suzanne P. Merck (1980)
- Number of slaves ?
- In 1878 Edward Barnwell III built a house incorporating what remained of the original house that Union troops had burned in 1865 (1, p. 2).