Stony Point Plantation Ashley River Charleston County
- Location East bank of the Ashley River, Charleston County
- Origin of name For the outcrop of marlstone located in the area (3, p. 51)
- Other names Altaraxes; Rocky Point (3, p. 52)
- Current status Subdivided over time
- Prior to 1692 Earliest known date of existence (3, p. 50)
Warrants of this year were issued for property near "Stony Point" (3, p. 50).
- ? House built
- 1695 Hannah English Williams was granted 500 acres on the Ashley River which was called Stony Point (3, p. 51).
- ? Manley Williamson acquired Stony Point from Hannah English Williams and increased its size to 800 acres (3, pp. 50-51).
- ? Upon Manley Williamson's death, the property was divided between his son and daughter. Son, Manley Williamson II received 500 acres which retained the Stony Point name (3, pp. 50-51).
- 1728 Manley Williamson II conveyed Stony Point Plantation to Edmund Bellinger 2nd Landgrave who also subsequently acquired the 300 acres that Williamson's sister had inherited. Landgrave Bellinger owned a large amount of property in the Lowcounty but made Stony Point his residence. He also ran a ferry from Stony Point across the Ashley River to Ashley Ferry Town (3, p. 51).
- 1738 Landgrave Bellinger's oldest son, Edmund Bellinger, inherited the plantation upon his father's death. Durning Edmund's ownership, he added an additional 175 acres (3, pp. 51-52).
- 1785 Edmund Bellinger's will left Stony Point Plantation to his wife for life then it was to pass to son William Bellinger; a 1789 map shows William as owner (3, p. 52).
- 1829 William Bellinger's will left the plantation to his sons Edmund and Carnot Bellinger. The courts divided the property between the brothers with the western 518.8 acre section going to Edmund Bellinger and the eastern part to Carnot Bellinger (3, p. 52).
- 1831 Edmund Bellinger sold his part of Stony Point Plantation (3, p. 52).
- 1832 and 1834 Carnot Bellinger sold 175 acres to H.V. Snell in 1832 and the remaining portion of Stony Point to John Stanyarne Brisbane in 1834. Brisbane called his plantation Altaraxes, which remained with his descendants until 1867 (3, p. 52).
- Number of acres 500 in 1695; 800 early 1700s; 975 in 1765; 1011.98 in 1789
- Primary crop ?
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Henry A. M. Smith, The Historical Writings of Henry A.M. Smith (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1988)
Order The Historical Writings of Henry A.M. Smith
- Information contributed by William Bellinger, descendant of Edmund Bellinger 2nd Landgrave.
- Henry A. M. Smith, The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Volumes 19-20