Summit Plantation Adams Run Charleston County
— Summit Plantation, 2001 © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Swinton Creek, Adams Run, St. Paul's Parish, Charleston County
Off County Road 390 (Toogoodoo Road) six miles southeast from Adams Run
- Origin of name Amarinthia Jenkins Wilkinson named the plantation "Summit" because it expressed the summit of her happiness (1, p. 3).
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1694 Earliest known date of existence
Originally granted to Landgrave Thomas Smith in 1694 and re-granted to Joseph Blake six years later
- 1730 House built by John Bull
The original house fell into disrepair and was known as "Rat Hall."
- 1813 William Wilkinson married Amarinthia Jenkins. They moved into a small house on the estate of Amarinthia's father, Daniel Jenkins. The Jenkins estate was then divided with the Wilkinsons receiving 500 acres (1, p. 3).
- 1819 A new home was built by William Wilkinson. He recorded the cost of constructing the house to be $2,358.44 (1, p. 3).
- 1829 William Wilkinson received a silver loving cup from the Agricultural Society for the best five acres of cotton (1, p. 3).
- 1879 Amarinthia Wilkinson died and the plantation was left to her sons Daniel and Francis (1, p. 6).
- 1892 Daniel and Francis farmed the property together until Daniel's death left Francis the plantation's sole owner (1, p. 6).
- 1966 Summit Plantation remained in the Wilkinson family until it was purchased by John H. Boineau (1, p. 6).
- 1982 John Boineau built two one-room additions. Boineau is a fine craftsman and has restored and recreated much of the original woodwork. His wife owns Middleton's Plantation (4).
- Number of acres 500 in 1816 (1, p. 3)
- Primary crop Rice, cotton
- Alphabetical list Joseph Blake (1700-?), John Boineau (1966-?), Mary Middleton and Pierce Butler, John Dorsius, Daniel Jenkins, Daniel and Francis Jenkins (1879-1892), Francis Jenkins (1892-?), Landgrave Thomas Smith (1694-1700), Amarinthia Jenkins Wilkinson (1813-1879)
- Number of slaves 75 in 1850 (1, p. 6)
- Two-story frame house (1, p. 2)
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1983
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Catherine Campant Messner, South Carolina's Low Country: A Past Preserved (Orangeburg, SC: Sandlapper Publishing Company, 1988)
Order South Carolina's Low Country: A Past Preserved
- Information contributed by Brandon Coffey.