Sunnyside Plantation Edisto Island Charleston County
— Sunnyside Plantation © Library of Congress, 1978 —
(Prints & Photographs Division HABS SC,10-EDIL,8-1)
- Location Store Creek, Edisto Island, St. John's Colleton Parish, Charleston County
Off north side of Peter's Point Road
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- Circa 1870-1880 House built
- ? Mrs. Edwin Belser acquired Sunnyside from her father Townsend Mikell. She and her husband used it as a summer home (1, p. 3).
- 1986 Dr. Ritchie Besler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Belser, and his wife Gale were owners (1, p. 3).
- 2004 Scenes from the movie The Notebook was filmed at Sunnyside Plantation. The house that served as Frank Calhoun's (Sam Shepard) homestead is located on the drive leading to the main house (4).
— Frank Calhoun's House in The Notebook © Gazie Nagle, 2014 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Number of slaves ?
- The main house, barn, and two smaller houses are on the property (1, p. 2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1986
Photographs, architectural overview
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
– Online Catalog
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- SCIWAY's movie page about The Notebook