Walnut Grove Plantation Awendaw Charleston County
Special thanks to Darby Nolan providing much of the information on this page.
- Location St. James Santee Parish, north of Awendaw, Charleston County
Between US Highway 17 and the Intercoastal Waterway
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Part of the Francis Marion National Forest
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? Major Percy owned the plantation (2).
- 1828 David Doar purchased the plantation and used it mostly as a summer residence (2).
- Early-1900s The house that is still standing was built (2).
- Mid-1900s The site was still active (3).
- Walnut Grove Plantation had several owners after the Doar family until it eventually became part of Francis Marion National Forest (4).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop Rice (4)
- Walnut Grove Plantation cemetery remains on the property: pictures
- Alphabetical list David Doar; Gourdin; Major Percy
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII
- Information contributed by Darby Nolan.
- Katherine O. Pettit, Take a Road Trip Along the Palmetto Trail
- Palmetto Conservation Foundation Facebook Post
- Francis Marion National Forest
PO Box 788
McClellanville, SC 29458
Website: Click here