Wappoo Hall Plantation James Island Charleston County
- Location Stono River, James Island, Charleston County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status ?
- Number of acres 1,085 (date unknown)
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Bee; Clark; John F. and Henry H. Ficken (1898); Kinsman; Lawton; Lebby; O'Brien; Rivers, Welch
Contrary to rumors on Wikipedia and elsewhere, Wappoo Hall Plantation was never owned by the Lucas family. Eliza Lucas planted indigo across Wappoo Creek on what is now known as West Ashley. Her plantation was called Wappoo, not Wappoo Hall.
- Number of slaves ?
References & Resources
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
More about Charleston & James Island
- Learn more about historic Charleston County including the port city of Charleston and lovely nearby James Island. We have helpful guides to Charleston history and Charleston libraries and museums – plus Charleston bed & breakfasts, Charleston hotels, and Charleston jobs. We also have guides to James Island restaurants and Charleston real estate.