Willtown Bluff Plantation Adams Run Charleston County
— Willtown Bluff Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Edisto River, Adams Run, St. Paul's Parish, ACE Basin, Charleston County
Located off SC 164 on Willtown Road
- Origin of name The nearby village was called Wiltown probably for William of Orange (2, p. 627)
- Other names Wilton, New Hope
- Current status Privately owned
— Willtown Bluff Historical Marker © Gazie Nagle —
- 1714 Earliest known date of existence
Granted to Landgrave Robert Daniel (2, p. 628)
- 1756 Tract purchased by William Elliott from John Ash (2, p. 628)
- ? Ann Morris, William Elliott's daughter, inherited the property from her father (2, p. 628).
- ? Ann's son Lewis Morris V became owner (2, p. 629).
- 1809 House built by Lewis V and Elizabeth Manigault Morris (2, p. 629)
The date of the house construction is uncertain as the National Register has the date of 1820 (1, p. 2)
- 1863 Lewis died after witnessing his property being destroyed by warring factions. Many houses in the area were burned but the house at Willtown Bluff was spared (2, p. 634).
The house may have been used as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War (1, p. 3)
- 1871 Morris' heirs sold the plantation to Edward Manigault Barnwell (2, p. 634).
- 1885 John Grimball purchased the property from Edward Manigault Barnwell (2, p. 634).
- 1893 John Grimball sold Willtown Bluff to Christopher FitzSimons (2, p. 634).
- 1911 Christopher FitzSimons transferred ownership to Samuel G. FitzSimons (2, p. 634).
- 1925 Samuel G. FitzSimons sold Willtown Bluff to William E. Harmon (2, p. 635).
- 1930 Harmon's estate sold the plantation to Arthur Whitney (2, p. 635).
- 1945 Hugh Lane became the plantation's owner (2, p. 635)
- Number of acres 1,016 in 1714; 623 in 1851
- Primary crop Rice
- Alphabetical list Mr. and Mrs. Donald Allston; John Ash (?-1756); Edward Manigault Barnwell (1871-1885); William Elliott (1756-?); Christopher FitzSimons (1893-1911); Samuel G. FitzSimons (1911-1925); John Grimball (1885-1893); William E. Harmon (1925-1930); Hugh Lane (1945-?); Ann Morris; Elizabeth Manigault Morris; Colonel Lewis V. Morris (?-1863); Mr. and Mrs. Harold Stanley
- Number of slaves ?
- Elizabeth Manigault Morris' father was a noted amateur architect. The house at Willtown Bluff is of Federal style with a polygonal room (2, p. 629).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1974
Photographs, architectural overview
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995) pp. 625-639
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Margaret F. Kemp, Colleton County, South Carolina: A Pictorial History (Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1994)