Brawley Plantation Chester County
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- 1800s Hiram Clark Brawley acquired the plantation.
- 1862 Hiram Clark Brawley died. His son, William H. Brawley returned home to manage the plantation for two years after being wounded in the Civil War. After recovering from his injuries, William went to Europe to continue his legal education and went on to become a Federal Judge (3).
- 1866 A school for African-Americans was started at the plantation by a pair of white women from New York and New Jersey, E.E. Richmond and Carolyn Kent respectively, and was supported by the Freedmen's Bureau (3).
- 1871-1872 The Civil Contingent Fund, through the Land Commission, purchased land to help struggling farmers. Among these was a tract owned by N.A. Brawley. It had been divided into nine lots and deemed as poor quality land (4, p. 170).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Brawley; Davidson; Marion
References & Resources
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
– Online Catalog
- Brainerd Institute - SCIWAY's South Carolina Picture Project
- William Huggins Brawley - Biographical Directory of the US Congress
- Report of State Officers, Board and Committees to the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina (Columbia, SC: 1873)