Oak Grove Plantation Richburg Chester County
- Location Richburg, Chester County
3207 Mountain Gap Road / Highway 901 between Richburg and Great Falls
- Origin of name ?
- Other names John Edward Bankhead Home (1)
- Current status A working farm with camping sites, cabin rentals, fishing and is also available for training dogs (1)
- Circa 1790 Earliest known date of existence (1)
The plantation was established by the A.J. Cloud family (1).
Interestingly, Doc Holliday, famous for standing with Wyatt Earp at the 1881 O.K. Corral gunfight, was the Clouds' great-nephew (1).
- Circa 1790 House built (1)
Constructed by the A.J. Cloud family (1).
The house at Oak Grove Plantation was one of the few in the area that was not destroyed by Sherman's troops (1).
- Early 1950s John "Ed" Edward and Sallie Gibson Bankhead moved into Oak Grove (1).
- 2009 Sallie Gibson Bankhead passed away with her husband Ed preceding her in 1989. At the time of her death, it is believed that Sallie was the oldest living daughter of a Confederate soldier in South Carolina and perhaps in the United States (1).
- 2015 Mike and Nancy Bankhead Walley were owners and operating the plantation as a working farm with recreational opportunities including camping sites, cabin rentals, fishing and is also available for training dogs (1).
- Number of slaves ?
- From Historic Sites Survey, Chester County, "[The plantation's home] was a six room house with a fireplace in each room, lower and upper porches with four box columns of that period on each. The front doors and double doors leading from the hallway to the kitchen are put together with wooden pegs. The stairway is hand carved and leads to an impressive landing." (2)
- While removing the wallpaper of an upstairs bedroom in 1978, a hand-written note was found on the wall dated in the 1700s telling of a celebration to be held at the house since the crops were in (1).
References & Resources
- Oak Grove's History: Click here
- Information contributed by Nancy Bankhead Walley from:
Catawba Regional Planning Council, Historic Sites Survey, Chester County, (1976)
- Real Estate Listing
- Oak Grove Plantation
3207 Mountain Gap Road
Richburg, SC 29729
Website: Click here