- Location Jono Creek (a branch of the Ashepoo River), Ritter, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1825 Earliest known date of existence
Burrell Sanders began construction of a large two story house (4, p. 32).
- 1860 Burrell Sanders owned 125 slaves and was considered a successful planter. He served in the South Carolina House of Representatives and was a trustee of the Walterboro Academy (4, p. 32).
- ? Several times during the Civil War Beech Hill was raided. Ann Sanders, Burrell's wife, managed to keep the plantation together and prevented it from being confiscated and burned (4, p. 32).
- 1883 Burrell Sanders died. His son, Archibald Campbell Sanders, took over the management of the plantation. Like his father, Archibald Campbell Sanders also served in the South Carolina House of Representatives. He also served in the South Carolina Senate from 1890-1898 (4, p. 32).
- 1965 E.B. Sanders, Jr. was in possession of the plantation (5, bk. 1, vol. 12, p. 11).
- 2006 The plantation is still owned by the Sanders family. Miles Sanders is the current owner.
- Alphabetical list Lloyd; Archibald Campbell Sanders; Burrell Sanders; E.B. Sanders, Jr.; Miles Sanders
- Number of slaves 125 in 1860 (Sanders)
- Plantation house The house is two stories with piazzas on three sides. The first story is made of brick and masonry and the second is made of heart pine and cypress (4, p. 32). Click here for 2005 picture.
References & Resources
- Sanders Geneaology - scroll down to Generation Four
- Layton Wayne Jordan and Elizabeth H. Stringfellow, A Place Called St. John's (Spartanburg, SC: Reprint Company, 1998)
- Lucius G. Fishburne, Plantation Notes, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1960, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Nina Burke, Plantations of St. Bartholomew's Parish, South Carolina
(Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2005)
- Claude Henry Neuffer, editor, Names in South Carolina, Volume I through 30 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company)
Order Names in South Carolina, Volumes I-XII, 1954-1965
Order Names in South Carolina, Index XIII-XVIII