The information on this page was contributed by the late Dr. Charles Raymond Spell, PhD, the late James Everett Spell, and Charles Hugo Sheridan Spell, II, all descendants of Hugo Grotius Sheridan, MD.
- Location Northern Colleton County
Along present-day Highway 61
- Origin of name "Golgotha" means "place of the skull." It is believed to be the location where Christ died, and it is also the location where Judas committed suicide. Legend has it that Dr. Sheridan's first wife, Jane Henrietta Elvira Meyer-Sheridan, died from a drug overdose while they were living on this plantation. It is believed that this tragedy led to Dr. Sheridan's choice of the name Golgotha.
- Other names ?
- Current status The plantation has been subdivided.
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- ? House built
- Circa 1814 Dr. Hugo Grotius Sheridan purchased 590 acres (noted as 'third division' on this plat) of the Spell Plantation.
- 1810-1814 Dr. Sheridan was awarded four land grants from the Provisional Government of the State of South Carolina. These grants totaled 2,998 acres, bringing his total holdings to approximately 3,588 acres.
– First land grant - 1,000 acres in 1810
– Second land grant - 1,000 acres in 1814
– Third land grant - 850 acres in 1814
– Fourth land grant - 148 acres in 1814
Over the years, Dr. Sheridan also owned Sheridan Plantation and Hope (or Good Hope) Plantation.
- ? Dr. Sheridan would later sell a portion of the plantation to Dr. Peter Stokes and give other parts to his step-son Captain James Liston and grandson William Henry Eldred Spell.
- Number of acres 3,588 in 1814
- Primary crop ?
- Chronological list Joel Spell, Sr. (?-1814); Dr. Hugo Grotius Sheridan (1814-1854); Dr. Peter Stokes; Captain James Liston; William Henry Eldred Spell
- Number of slaves ?
- N. Louis Bailey, Biographical Directory of the South Carolina Senate, 1776-1985 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1986)
Order Biographical Directory of the South Carolina Senate, 1776-1985