Pinebury Plantation Colleton County
- Earliest known date of existence ?
- House built ?
- ? John Berkeley Grimball owned Pinebury. Grimball was married to a niece of the Morris family who owned neighboring Grove Plantation (US Fish and Wildlife Service).
- 1858 Grimball became owner of Grove Plantation. He combined the two properties and moved his family into the Grove house (US Fish and Wildlife Service).
- 1866 Grimball was able to regain ownership rights to Pinebury and Grove after the plantations had been confiscated. During the Civil War, the Grimballs fled to Spartanburg as skirmishes took place on their land. The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands considered the plantations abandoned and had seized them (Linder, p. 212).
- 1870 The war was financially devastating to Grimball. He was unable to maintain the mortgage payments on Grove Plantation and the plantation reverted back to the Morris' heirs Josephine M. Porter and Sabina Ann Morris. He was able to retain Pineburg (Linder, p. 213).
- 1892 John Berkeley Grimball died and his son Berkley Grimball became the owner (Linder, p. 213).
- Number of acres ?
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list John Berkeley Grimball (?-1892); Berkeley Grimball (1892-?); Maybank; Morris; Newton
- US Fish and Wildlife Service, ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge's History of the Grove Plantation House: Click here