Much of the information on this page was contributed by Charles Hugo Sheridan Spell, II and Edna Griffith Greenewalt – both descendents of Hugo Grotius Sheridan, MD. Some of the information was obtained directly from Dr. Sheridan's diary.
- Location Round O, Colleton County
Plantation was bordered by Old Round O Road to Parker's Ferry and crossed by Maple Cane Road, now Cottageville section.
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Sandhills
- Current status Over the years, the plantation was subdivided with a portion still owned by Dr. Sheridan's descendents.
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- After 1829 Dr. Hugo Grotius Sheridan purchased a plantation of approximately 3,000 acres.
- ? Dr. Sheridan had a large house built.
- 1849 The house burned due to a chimney fire and was completely destroyed on February 17.
Over the years, Dr. Sheridan also owned Golgotha Plantation and Hope (or Good Hope) Plantation.
- 1853 Dr. Sheridan died leaving his surviving children, Georgiana Caroline Sheridan-Williams, Jane Henrietta Elvira Sheridan-Spell, and Hugo Grotius Sheridan, Jr., as joint owners.
- Number of acres Approximately 3,000 in early 1800s
- Primary crop ?
- Dr. Sheridan served in both the South Carolina House of Representatives and the South Carolina State Senate, representing St. Bartholomew. He and his third wife, Catherine, were buried on the plantation under a huge live oak that is more than 1,000 years old. The part of the plantation where graves are located is owned by a descendent of one of the slaves.
- Chronological list Joel Spell (?-1814); Dr. Hugo Grotius Sheridan (1814-1854); Georgiana Caroline Sheridan-Williams, Jane Henrietta Elvira Sheridan-Spell and Hugo Grotius Sheridan Jr. (1854-?)
- Number of slaves 41 (1850)
- The house burned in 1849.
- N. Louis Bailey, Biographical Directory of the South Carolina Senate, 1776-1985 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1986)
Order Biographical Directory of the South Carolina Senate, 1776-1985