— White Hall Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
- Location Cuckolds Creek (a branch of the Combahee River), White Hall, St. Bartholomew's Parish, Colleton County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
— Avenue of Oaks at White Hall Plantation © Gazie Nagle —
- 1733 Earliest known date of existence
Captain Anthony Mathewes was issued a land grant on December 6, 1733 for 707 acres (2, p. 611).
- ? House built
An avenue of massive oaks marks the site of the original house, which stood near the marsh.
- 1800 William Price was owner of record. He also owned nearby Llandovery Plantation (2, p. 611-612).
- ? Henry Garner was owner; he died prior to 1823 (2, p. 612).
- ? Nathaniel Heyward was the plantation's owner (2, p. 612).
- ? Heyward left the property to his eldest son, Edward Barnwell Heyward (2, p. 612).
- 1823 Edward's brother, Nathaniel Barnwell Heyward, inherited White Hall upon his brother's death (3, p. 226).
- 1858 Heyward sold White Hall to the Charleston and Savannah Railroad, holding the mortgage himself (2, p. 613).
- 1866 The Civil War destroyed the railroad and Heyward sued for mortgage default. The property was foreclosed on and sold at a sheriff's sale (2, p. 613).
- 1874 The 700 acre property was sold to L. Shuman and John S. Farmer at a sheriff's sale for $350. Farmer would sign his rights to the property over to Shuman (2, p. 613).
- 1876 Shuman lost White Hall in a debt judgement. O.P. Williams and his son O.P. Williams, Jr. purchased the plantation at a sheriff's sale (2, p. 613).
- 1888 Once again, the plantation was sold at a sheriff's sale. This time due to the debt of the Williams' family. Paul A. Sloman purchased the property at this sale (2, p. 613).
- 1896 Julius H. Heyward, son of Nathaniel Barnwell Heyward, purchased his family's plantation from Sloman (2, p. 613).
- 1906 Heyward sold White Hall to J.C. Guess (2, p. 613).
- 1925 Carolina F. Guess sold the property to Harold Marvin, A.C. Sanders, and E.B. Sanders (2, p. 613).
- 1927 The trio sold White Hall Plantation to Charles Lanier Lawrence in March (2, p. 613).
Lawrence remodeled the house and added on to it. He used White Hall as his winter home and hunting preserve (2, p. 614).
- 1937 Mrs. Lawrence sold the plantation to Fitz Eugene Dixon after her husband's death (3, p. 226).
- 1958 Dixon sold the property to Anson McCook Beard (3, p. 226).
- 1959 Hurricane Gracie caused extensive damage to White Hall.
- ? John E. Meyer was owner. Meyer also owned Bleak Hall Plantation and Sea Cloud Plantation (3, p. 226).
- 1985 Mrs. Loretta H. Cockrum renovated the house (3, p. 226).
- 1995 A Malaysian company, Ti Aun Corporation, was owner of record (2, p. 614).
- ? J. Peter Grace was owner (3, p. 226)
- ? Richard L. Chilton Jr. purchased White Hall. Chilton also owned Buckfield Plantation (3, p. 183).
— White Hall Plantation's Secret Garden © Brandon Coffey —
- Number of acres 707 in 1733 (2, p. 611); 723 in 1858 (2, p. 613); 700 in 1874 (2, p. 613); 1,000 in 1888 (3, p. 226); 805 in 1906 (2, p. 613);
- Primary crop ?
- Chronological list Captain Anthony Mathewes (1733-?); William Price (1800); Henry Garner; Nathaniel Heyward; Edward Barnwell Heyward (?-1823); Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Barnwell Heyward, III (1823-1858); Charleston and Savannah Railroad (1858-1866); L. Shuman and John S. Farmer (1874-?); L. Shuman (1874-1876); O.P. Williams and O.P. Williams, Jr. (1876-?); Paul A. Sloman (1888-1896); Julius H. Heyward (1896-1906); J.C. Guess (1906-?); Carolina F. Guess (?-1925); Harold Marvin, A.C. Sanders, and E.B. Sanders (1925-1927); Charles Lanier Lawrence (1927-1937); Fitz Eugene Dixon (1937-1958); Anson McCook Beard (1958-?); Mrs. Loretta H. Cockrum (1985); Ti Aun Corporation (1995-?); John E. Meyer; J. Peter Grace; Richard L. Chilton Jr. (2009)
- Number of slaves ?
— Horses Grazing at White Hall Plantation © Brandon Coffey —
References & Resources
- Lucius G. Fishburne, Plantation Notes, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1960, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Suzanne Cameron Linder, Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
(Columbia, SC: South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1995)
Order Historical Atlas of the Rice Plantations of the ACE River Basin - 1860
- Robert B. Cuthbert and Stephen G. Hoffius, editors, Northern Money, Southern Land: The Lowcountry Plantation Sketches of Chlotilde R. Martin (Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press, 2009)
— Rear of White Hall Plantation House © Brandon Coffey —
— Pond at White Hall Plantation © Brandon Coffey —