- Location Edgefield County
Located at 300 Columbia Road off US 25
- Origin of name Named for the oak trees on the land
- Other names ?
- Current status Open to the public for tours
- 1835 Earliest known date of existence
Daniel Bird, owner of the property, built a house (Neuffer, bk. 1, vol. 11, p. 25).
- ? Sometime after the Civil War General Martin Witherspoon Gary owned the plantation.
- ? Miss Mary Evans was in possession of the house. At the time of her death, her brother, Governor John Gary Evans, bought the house.
- 1941 Governor Evans presented Oakley Park with 40 acres to the Town of Edgefield. The deed stipulated that "Oakley Park" was to be a memorial to Martin Witherspoon Gary and was to be taken care of by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (Neuffer, bk. 1, vol. 11, p. 25).
The house is open to the public for tours.
- Number of acres 40 in 1941
- Primary crop Cotton
- Alphabetical list Daniel Bird; Governor John Gary Evans; Mary Evans; Martin Witherspoon Gary
- Number of slaves ?
- Photo of house: Click here
- Oakley Park Museum: Click here
- Initial references: See #1
- Claude Henry Neuffer (editor), Names in South Carolina, 1943-1983 (Columbia, SC: The State Printing Company).
- Oakley Park Museum
300 Columbia Road
Edgefield, SC 29824