Fairoaks Plantation near Douglass Fairfield County
Special thanks to Rick Brice for bringing Fairoaks to our attention.
- Location East side of County Road 22 approximately 3 miles north of Douglass, Fairfield County
- Origin of name ?
- Other names Dr. Walter Brice House
- Current status Privately owned by the daughters of Henry Johnson
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- House built c. 1840 by Dr. Walter Brice. Dr. Brice was a prominent physician and planter in Fairfield County.
- 1945 Henry Johnson and his wife purchased the property.
- Number of acres 5.7 acres in 1983
- Primary crop ?
- Alphabetical list Dr. Walter Brice, Henry Johnson (1945-?), Henry Johnson's daughter Margaret Johnson McIntosh and her sister
- Number of slaves Dr. Walter Brice owned 52 slaves in 1860
- The house, c. 1840, is a two-story, frame, L-shaped building with a side gabled roof in the Greek Revival style.
- Dr. Brice's office still stands southeast of the house. It is a ten-foot-by-twelve-foot frame building with gabled metal roof.
- Ruins of a log cabin also remain on the property.
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1983
Photographs, architectural overview