- Location near Jenkinsville, Fairfield County
West side of SC 358, approximately 6 miles south of junction Highway 215
- Origin of name ?
- Other names ?
- Current status The house is privately owned and has been restored (4).
- ? Earliest known date of existence
- 1824 House built by Colonel William Alston as a wedding gift for his daughter when she married Burrell Brown Cook. Cook was a planter and served in the South Carolina General Assembly (2).
- 1883 Thomas Chappell purchased the plantation (2).
- ? Bruce Hough became the plantation's next owner (4).
- ? Mayfair's next owner was Helen Douglas Chappell Crumpton (4).
- 1985 Anacal Corporation owned Mayfair (1, p. 1).
- ? S.C. McMeekin purchased Mayfair (2).
Interesting note: During photographer Teri Leigh Teed's visit to the plantation in 2006, Mrs. McMeekin told her that Albert Einstein once visited Mayfair.
— Second Story Porch of Mayfair Plantation © Teri Leigh Teed, 2006 —
- Chronological list Mr. and Mrs. Burrell Brown Cook (1824-1883), Thomas Chappell (1883-?), Bruce Hough, Helen Douglas Chappell Crumpton, Anacal Corporation (1985), S.C. McMeekin
— Mayfair Plantation Front Door Window © Teri Leigh Teed, 2006 —
- Number of slaves ?
- House is Federal style, two-story frame construction that has recently been restored (4).
— Mayfair Plantation Staircase Detail © Teri Leigh Teed, 2006 —
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1985
Photographs, architectural overview
- Historic sites of Fairfield County: Click here - Mayfair Plantation numbered 84
- Map of Western Fairfield County: Click here - Mayfair Plantation numbered 84
- Information contributed by Lynn Griffith