Wylands Plantation Winnsboro Fairfield County
- Location 2.5 miles northeast of Winnsboro, Fairfield County
181 Eagle Drive
- Origin of name From "Wylie Lands" for the Wylie family which founded and still owns the plantation (1)
- Other names ?
- Current status Privately owned
- 1787 Earliest known date of existence
Joseph and Mary Wylie settled near McCully Creek and the plantation has remained in the Wylie family since it was founded (1)
- 1832 House built (1)
John Wylie constructed a two-story house with the interior walls being made of logs. The house still stands today (2015). Some renovations were done in the 1950s including the replacement of the windows. The ceilings on the first level are quite low with higher ceilings upstairs (1).
- 1865 During the week of February 22, a fairly large Confederate camp site was located behind the John Wylie house (1).
- 1992 Mary Jane Wylie Wright owned Wylands and constructed a two-story brick house. As of 2015, Mary Jane still owned the plantation (1)
— Mary Jane Wylie House at Wylands Plantation © David Wright, 2015 —
(Do Not Use Without Written Consent)
- Number of slaves 27 (1)
References & Resources
- Information contributed by David Hall Wright, the husband of plantation owner and descendant of founders Mary Jane Wylie Wright.