- Location Mars Bluff, Florence County
310 Price Road
- Origin of name Gregg for the family that owned the plantation for over 160 years; Red Doe by Joseph Wilds Wallace, Jr. after the name of the horse Andrew Hunter rode during his famous American Revolution escape (2).
- Other names Red Doe
- Current status The majority of the property is owned by Francis Marion University with the house owned by the non-profit organization Red Doe Plantation, Inc.
- Circa 1831 Earliest known date of existence when owned by J. Eli Gregg (1, p. 3)
- 1846 House built by Evander A. Gregg (2)
- 1865 Gregg sold the plantation to Simon Lucas, on November 1 (2).
- 1867 Simon Lucas was unable to make the payments and signed the property back over to Evander Gregg in January (2).
- 1867 Evander Gregg then sold the plantation to his brother Ephraim Gregg (2).
- 1867 Ephraim didn't keep the property long as he sold it to Robert Legare Singletary in December (2).
- 1912 Singletary's widow, Sarah Jane Evans Singletary, sold to Joseph Wilds Wallace in December (2).
- 1920 In January, Wallace sold to his brother-in-law, Rev. Thomas Hartwell Edwards (2).
- 1928 Rev. Edwards deed the plantation to Wallace's three sons (2).
About 1934, Joseph Wilds Wallace, Jr., began calling the plantation Red Doe. Red Doe was the name of the horse Andrew Hunter rode during his famous American Revolution escape (2).
- ? Marion Chisholm and Anne Pearce Wallace became owners (2).
- 1940-1941 The Wallaces restored the house (2).
- 2006 After passing through generations of Gregg descendants, Robert Pearce Wilkins and family donated the house to Red Doe Plantation, Inc., a nonprofit corporation (2).
- Chronological list J. Eli Gregg (1836-?); Evander A. Gregg (?-1865); Simon Lucas (1865-1867); Evander A. Gregg (1867); Ephraim Gregg (1867); Robert Legare Singletary (1867-?); Sarah Jane Evans Singletary (?-1912); Joseph Wilds Wallace (1912-1920); Rev. Thomas Hartwell Edwards (1920-1928); Joseph Wilds Wallace's three sons (1928-?); Marion Chisholm and Anne Pearce Wallace; Robert Pearce Wilkins and family (?-2006); Red Doe Plantation, Inc. (2006-present, 2013)
- Number of slaves ?
- The house is still standing but not open on a regular basis. Two of seven original hewn-timber slave cabins, circa 1831, still exist and have been moved to a different location on the campus of Francis Marion University.
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
Nomination form for slave cabins at Francis Marion University - PDF - submitted in 1974
Photographs, architectural overview
- Carl Hill, About Red Doe Plantation: Click here
- Hewn-timber slave cabins - moved to different location at Francis Marion University
- Red Doe Plantation, Inc.
c/o Gretchen Huggins
3695 Willow Creek Road
Florence, SC 29505
Website: Click here
- Francis Marion University
Wallace Woods Road
Website: Click here